Tuesday 9 August 2011

Twitter: I Predict a Riot

I know I should be using this time to catch up on my CPD23 posts as I am seriously behind....
But I just wanted to talk about the devastation of the London riots and how Twitter/social networking media in general has impacted my current awareness on a whole new level.

I, as most people are I'm sure, have been totally appalled and saddened by the scenes that have been played out on the news and in our newspapers the last few days. It is difficult to comprehend the scale of the devastation and why or how it has been able to happen.

Since signing up to Twitter again for one of the 23 things, I have gradually been getting used to it and finding more people/organisations to follow that interest or entertain me. I have used it on and off, mostly for finding out the news headlines, discovering new music, following CPD23 and for my general amusement. This was until, arguably, two of the biggest news stories to break in many years took hold of my attention and also took hold of my Twitter feed.

First was the phone hacking/Rupert Murdoch scandal. I felt that a lot (but not all of) the news and print media had difficultly on reporting on this in a non-biased manner, as most of them were somehow linked in the scandal itself. Twitter, although non-regulated and un-edited (which can be seen as a plus or minus depending on your own opinion), provided me with a new insight into the unfolding events.
As I watched the Select Committee meeting, I followed my Twitter feed in real time and it was fascinating to receive an insiders perspective (someone was tweeting from within the room), to read informed and involved members reactions (MP's and journalists) and to observe members of the public's reactions to the unfolding events. It was interesting to read so many thoughts and different points of view, it made me think of things in a different way and encouraged me to think more about what goes on behind a news story or headline.

Second, is the still unfolding events of the London riots. Twitter has played it's part in more ways than one. I was hooked to my Twitter feed all evening last night, watching with tears in my eyes as the rioting gradually spread through different parts of London and then to the different cities in the country. The news seems so much more real when people who are actually directly involved are Tweeting their stories and opinions. The speed at which events were unfolding could never be conveyed through any other media other than social media.

But the ugly side of social networking also showed it's face last night. Rioters were able to publicise where to meet and what area to target next- the power that Twitter and other networking sites could give them was truly terrifying. Equally though, this morning we can observe one of the most wonderful ways Twitter has been used in this sad story. The top hash tag is #riotcleanup, which links Tweets discussing how we can help those who have been affected. They are publicising where and when to meet to help clean up the mess and it is a forum for people to convey how much they care and completely condemn what has happened. It's a beautiful thing. I think these two examples only go to show that the merits of Twitter are only as good as it's users.

The reasons behind these riots run deep and they are complicated but the cuts to youth services, benefits and the high levels of unemployment in our most deprived areas have only gone on to exacerbate the already hopeless situation that so many of our young people today are facing.

I hope that our libraries can continue to play a small role in the education of these young people who feel they have no other option but to react to their situation in such a violent way and consequently ruin the lives of others.


No comments:

Post a Comment